Crane : sex, celebrity, and my father's unsolved murder / Robert Crane and Christopher Fryer
Enfield, Main Library - Adult Department
New Britain, Main Library - Non Fiction
Newington, Lucy Robbins Welles Library - Adult Department
B CRANE, B.
Plainville Public Library - Non Fiction
Southington Library - Adult
- xi, 350 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Screen classics
- Screen classics (Lexington, Ky.)
- "On June 29, 1978, Bob Crane, known to Hogan's Heroes fans as Colonel Hogan, was discovered brutally murdered in his Scottsdale, Arizona, apartment. His eldest son, Robert Crane, was called to the crime scene. In this poignant memoir, Robert Crane discusses that terrible day and how he has lived with the unsolved murder of his father. But this storyline is just one thread in his tale of growing up in Los Angeles, his struggles to reconcile the good and sordid sides of his celebrity father, and his own fascinating life. Crane began his career writing for Oui magazine and spent many years interviewing celebrities for Playboy--stars such as Chevy Chase, Bruce Dern, Joan Rivers, and even Koko the signing gorilla. As a result of a raucous encounter with the cast of Canada's SCTV, he found himself shelving his notepad and tape recorder to enter the employ of John Candy--first as an on-again, off-again publicist; then as a full-time assistant, confidant, screenwriter, and producer; and finally as one of Candy's pallbearers. Through disappointment, loss, and heartbreak, Crane's humor and perseverance shine. Beyond the big stars and behind-the-scenes revelations, this riveting account of death, survival, and renewal in the shadow of the Hollywood sign makes a profound statement about the desire for love and permanence in a life where those things continually slip away. By turns shocking and uplifting, Crane is an unforgettable and deeply human story"--Provided by publisher.
- Includes index.
- Author's note -- Reveille, 1978 -- Oh, pioneers, 1955-1956 -- No good-byes, 1978 -- One happy little family, 1956-1964 -- CSI : crime scene ineptitude, 1978 -- Uncle Daddy, 1964-1965 -- Round up the usual suspects, 1978 -- Zero to ninety, 1965-1966 -- Seeing orange, 1978 -- Living la vita Hogan, 1967 -- Happy Father's Day, 1978 -- Divorce, Tarzana style, 1968-1969 -- Loose nukes, 1978 -- Love in a time of war, 1969-1970 -- Don't make waves, 1970-1971 -- War is over, 1971-1972 -- Beacon in the storm, 1972 -- Heeeere's Jackie!!! 1972-1975 -- The family photo album, 1975 -- Take the bunny and run, 1976-1977 -- Scottsdale redux, 1978 -- Heeeere's Bobby!!! 1979 -- There ain't no stinkin' closure! 1979-1980 -- For members only, 1981-1982 -- Kari, 1982-1985 -- Bobby Ten Hats, 1986 -- Crane in the hutch, 1986 -- Going to war, 1986-1988 -- Full-fledged Chongo, 1989 -- Scottsdale redux, 1990 -- Bob's candy shoppe, 1990 -- John, John, Jack, and Johnny, 1990-1991 -- Murder cases never close, 1991 -- Planes, cars, and roller coasters, 1991 -- Just a speck, 1992 -- Go and stop, 1992 -- The beat goes on, 1992-1993 -- Hostage no more, 1993 -- Adios, amigo, 1993-1994 -- Judgment at Scottsdale, 1994 -- Ninety to zero, 1994-1995 -- Yet another cold call, 1996 -- Same shit, different century, 2000-2001 -- Out of focus, 2001-2002 -- Nature morte, 2003-2007 -- Taps, 2009 -- Appendix A: Bob Crane interviewed by John Carpenter for an x-rated "Swingers" magazine, 1969 -- Appendix B: Robert Crane and John Carpenter telephone call transcript, 1978 -- Appendix C: Robert Crane's letter to Sony Pictures Classics legal department addressing Auto Focus script, 2002 -- Appendix D: Robert Crane's piece for Auto Focus website, 2002 -- Appendix E: HWY 111 : Bob Crane's ten stupid questions, 2003.
- Crane, Bob, 1928-1978.
- Television actors and actresses -- United States -- Biography.
- Murder -- Investigation -- Arizona -- Scottsdale.
- Cold cases (Criminal investigation) -- Arizona -- Scottsdale.
- Crane, Robert, 1951-
- Crane, Bob, 1928-1978 -- Family.
- Fathers and sons -- United States -- Biography.
- Fame -- Social aspects -- California -- Los Angeles.
- Sex -- Social aspects -- California -- Los Angeles.
- Hollywood (Los Angeles, Calif.) -- Social life and customs.
- Added Author
- Fryer, Christopher,
- 9780813160740 hardcover alkaline paper
- 081316074X hardcover alkaline paper
- 9780813160764 electronic book
- 9780813160757 electronic book