Your well-being garden : how to make your garden good for you / Alistair Griffiths, Matt Keightley, Annie Gatti, Zia Allaway
Plainville Public Library - New Materials
Windsor Locks Public Library - New Materials
NEW 635 GRI
- First American edition.
- 224 pages : color illustrations ; 24 cm
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Your garden could become even better for you. Discover how certain plants can form a barrier against air and noise pollution, why green is so good for us, the way plants can help to save energy, how birdsong alleviates anxiety. Every recommendation is backed by scientific research, drawn together by experts and garden designers from Royal Horticultural Society and the Chelsea Flower Show, who suggest how to translate the science into ideas for your yard and garden, regardless of how much space you have. With this groundbreaking book, find out how, in sometimes very simple ways, you can create an outdoor (or even indoor) green space that nourishes your mind and body, and is good for our planet too.
- The protective garden. Plants as potential pollution-busters -- Plants as potential soundproofing -- Creating a low-allergen garden -- Managing pests the natural way -- The healing garden. Feel good with vitamin G -- How your garden helps to reboot your brain -- How gardening can boost your self-esteem -- Gardening to overcome isolation -- The powerful impact of scent -- Harnessing the power of color -- The restorative effects of water -- The positive power of birdsong -- Dirt is good for you -- Why the garden beats the gym --The nourishing garden. The secret life of healthy soil -- A medicine chest in the garden -- Growing your own food -- The sustainable garden. The cooling effect of plants -- Save energy with plants -- Future-proofing for drought -- Make your garden a no-flood zone -- Plant a haven for pollinators -- Is your garden really "green" -- Saving air miles on cut flowers.
- Gardening -- Therapeutic use.
- Gardening -- Design.
- Sustainable horticulture.
- Handbooks and manuals.
- Keightley, Matt,
- Gatti, Annie,
- Allaway, Zia,
- 9781465489593 (paperback)
- 1465489592 (paperback)